August 21 - 24: Acton Fair
Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 pm, Thurs. through Sat., 9:00 am - 4 pm on Sun.
Location: 550 Rt. 109, Acton, ME 04001
Cost: $7 daily admission; Midway rides extra
From 4-H animal shows to the skillet toss, the annual Acton Fair has it all: woodsman's day, pig scramble, 5K races, Cruisin' Car show, the midway, baking and pumpkin carving contests, steer and ox pulling, milking demonstrations, poultry and rabbit shows, the Miss Acton Fair pageant, and many well-known musicians. For schedules and more information, see http://actonfair.net/program-of-events/.
August 26: Gubernatorial Forum on Agriculture
Time: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Location: The Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine, 205 Church Hill Road, Augusta, Maine 04330
Cost: Free and open to the public
Do you want to know more about what Maine’s gubernatorial candidates think about several key agricultural issues? The Agricultural Council of Maine (AgCOM) is sponsoring this event, which will not be a debate. Eliot Cutler will speak at 1:00 pm, Governor LePage at 2:00 pm, and Congressman Mike Michaud at 3:00 pm. John Rebar, Director of UMaine Cooperative Extension, will serve as moderator. While UMaine Extension doesn’t take a political position regarding the candidates, it encourages everyone's participation in the democratic process.
A sampling of the questions to be asked of each candidate:
- How does the candidate seek to balance more traditional agriculture with the trend of locally based niche market operations?
- What priority will Extension and State Soil & Water Conservation Districts have in their administration as they support Maine’s 8,100 farms?
- What position does the candidate take on emerging technologies for agricultural production, including biotechnology?
- How will the candidate work to sustain dairy farms and milk production to ensure that those businesses can function and compete in the marketplace?
- What does the candidate think about laws and regulations that put Maine farmers at a competitive disadvantage with farmers in other states?
September 19 - 21: Common Ground Country Fair, sponsored by MOFGA
Location: 294 Crosby Brook Rd., Unity, ME 04988
The 38th annual Common Ground Country Fair sponsored by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) will provide opportunities for farmers to share and visitors to enjoy a huge variety of crafts, produce, activities and skills from across the state. Livestock shows, agricultural demonstrations, foods and fibers galore, music, children's activities, environmental education, herbs and health, and much more will be included; see http://www.mofga.org/theFair for complete details.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this listing, but we recommend that you contact the individuals shown for each event to confirm dates, times, etc.
***Next YCFN event to be announced***
Check back soon!
*YCFN member events are listed in green*
Copyright 2012 York County Farmers' Network